Monday, January 13, 2014

January 4

My last day as "officially in charge" of the students. 
Jordan got in last night and is feeling a little under the weather so I offered to take the students to ride elephants in the jungle. Obviously I had already planned to do it but wanted to put Jordan's mind at ease;).
We left as our usual pack of bikers at 7 am for a scheduled 8 am elephant ride.

Elephants are beautiful! I've only ever seen a real on in a zoo and a circus. 



These particular animals were abused!

Two elephants and each carried 2 students. 


Pete and I stayed back on the first ride with one student and walked back into town to wait for the first group tonreconnectbwith us there. We had already witnessed the herder (known as one of the "minority" to the people in the city) beating the elephant as he walked down the trail. 

Once again we were on our bikes and moving down the dusty dirt roads toward Yeak Laom, the volcano lake. It was formed 4,000 years ago after an eruption and is 800 meters wide and 50 meters deep. The water is so clean and blue but most of all very warm and comfortable. 
Again I was the first one in, as I wanted to show the kids it was safe. But mostly because I was hot as hell and had an Oz. of road dust in my throat

Again, Beauty beyond belief!

No comments:

Post a Comment