Saturday, December 28, 2013

Flyin to Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Hit the Yangon airport with plenty of time to spare. I'm not used to time in airports but I'll tell you there's something to be said of the peace one can afford when not running through security trying to make a flight. 

       (Time to relax outside the airport)
Even gave me time to go back outside and enjoy a special Myanmar cigar (sweet tobacco mixed with pineapple, anise and some other delectable ingredients). 

Small but nice airport with lots of great food, none of it chain stores. It's nice not to see Mikey Ds or Starbucks cluttering a country.

The flight went through Bangkok and had a 5 hour layover before we left for Phnom Penh. 
Got an amazing foot massage (turned into practically a full body) for $7 

            (Unreal. I love Thailand!)

and a fantastic duck & rice lunch with a Thai tea, Yum!

  (Back in Thailand w a zen Micky D) 

  (Time to relax w Frosty and friends!)

 (Cool cuz, Frosty and me in Thai airport)

Everything was absolutely perfect! 
Until I got on the plane and sat down in my seat.
 I don't know what happened but a split second later had me understand (and greatly appreciate) why the barf bags are in the backs of every seat. 


 I filled two of them on my dash to the bathroom. Whew!
 Food poisoning? Bad water? Not sure but after an hour flight I found myself running through the baggage terminal praying I found the bathroom before I introduced myself to the armed Cambodian airport security officials with a less than respectful spew! 

The taxi to the hotel was no better. We shared a car with a French girl (Oreli) we met in Myanmar when she asked me to put a knife, she had forgotten to check, in my checked bag. 
Now we were in a cab heading toward town and I was hanging out the window just in case. 

I barely made it to the hotel lobby before I was running for the bathroom for my third bout. 
Stayed in bed and slept it off last night but today I'm still feeling a bit ify. 

Pete went for a self tour of Phnom Penh without me.  I  stayed in the room & patched my bones as I emailed the engineering team & set up my schedule for the next few days. 
Tomorrow night the students get in around midnight and I have to have a driver and van hired and be prepared to leave for Banlung first thing Tuesday morning. 
It's now been  almost 3 weeks away. So far just freedom and life on my cue. 
With 11 engineering students & 2 other professors arriving for two Cambodian projects in the next 2 weeks it's time to buckle down. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick. I'm sorry that you got some food poisoning. I guess your experiences with the food vendors have been pretty good but these things happen sometimes. Wow, you have made it to Cambodia. Very cool!!! I look forward to your further adventures in 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete